Property Checklist for Preparing Your House for Sale in Lexington, SC
Over the years you’ve created a home that matches your personality, it’s a part of who you are, and probably reflects your personal style. While that’s the perfect scenario for living in your home, it is not the ideal atmosphere for selling your home.
Most home sellers make the mistake of assuming the way they live in their home is the way it should be when selling. Unfortaualty it’s not. Homebuyers are not looking for a house that they can fit in to. They are looking for a home in which THEY will feel comfortable and can envision themselves living in. This may sound like a minor distinction, but it is crucial in the home selling process. If you can wrap your head around this fact, you will have a much better selling experience.
First and foremost, you must understand that people have different tastes. The particular chandelier or wall color that made your home yours may seem appealing to you, but not to all buyers. Emotionally, you must be prepared to replace or put away those things that you hold dear.
Remember, when selling a home it is a product to be sold and nothing else. Before you list your home take some time to make your home show worthy and consider doing a FREE Market Analysis on your home.
We’ve come up with a checklist for selling a house that you can use to get started:
- Put a fresh coat of paint on the front door. – First impressions are important.
- Tone down colorful walls. Soft muted colors with minimal accessories are what you should aim for.
- Clean up closets – sellers look.
- In the bathroom, bright white towels and sparkling clean sinks and showers will do wonders to sell a most personal space.
- Clean up garages – sellers consider it a sign of how you took care of the home.
- Clean the refrigerator – make it spotless. We are talking surgical room spotless.
- Same goes for the oven.
- If you have an attic, clean and organize it. Buyers will look everywhere.
- Make sure all light bulbs work.
- Fertilize the yard a few weeks before listing the home.
- Plant new colorful flowers, trim shrubs and be sure the lawn stay mowed and manicured.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Consider replacing worn or old fixtures.
- Clean the windows.
- Remove all accessories, pictures and personal belongings that reflect your personal style.
Again, the goal is not to show a home you enjoy living in. The goal is to show a home the buyer could be comfortable living in. Try and remember when selling your home, it’s not about you anymore, it’s about the buyer and what you need to do to make your home as appealing to them as possible. Take some time and work through the checklist for selling a house and then call us, your Lexington, SC Realtor.
Weichert Realtors – Caughman Company | 120 Ellis Ave Suite C |Lexington, SC 29072 | 803.622.4596